Floodplain Information

Portions of Grandview Heights are located in what the Federal Emergency Management Agency [FEMA] designates as the floodplain. Land and structures within the floodplain are more susceptible to experiencing flooding based on FEMA’s model of flood risk. To view if your home is in the floodplain, visit https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home. 

Am I required to have flood insurance?

If your home or businesses is in the floodplain and your mortgage has federally-backed financing, you are required to have flood insurance. While flood insurance is not federally required if you live outside of the high-risk area, your lender may still require you to have insurance. Please call your lender if you are not sure if this applies to you. If you are a renter, this does not apply to you but you can purchase contents-only flood insurance to protect your belongings inside of your residence.

Can I still purchase flood insurance even if I’m not required to have it? 

Yes. Depending on the location of your property, you may qualify for a Preferred Risk Policy, which will reduce the rate you pay.

Can I get flood insurance from the company that insures my home?

While flood insurance may be offered, you should verify with your insurance company. Grandview Heights is a member of the National Flood Insurance Program [NFIP], which allows qualifying properties to be eligible for a preferred risk policy. If you need help finding a provider go to FloodSmart.gov/find or call the NFIP at 877-336-2627.

How accurate is FEMA’s floodplain map?

While FEMA uses modeling to predict the chance of flood occurrence, natural disasters can happen at any time. Other models do exist, but FEMA’s map is the industry standard and the only model accepted for regulatory purposes at this time.

Can I ask FEMA to review the status of my property?

A property owner or renter can submit certain mapping and survey information to FEMA and request that FEMA issue a document that officially removes a property and/or structure from the Special Flood Hazard Area. In most cases, the applicant will need to hire a Licensed Land Surveyor or Registered Professional Engineer to prepare an Elevation Certificate for the property. If you believe you may qualify, please contact Floodplain Administrator Charlie Boshane at (614) 481-6220.

For more information, visit https://www.floodsmart.gov/find.