Under-Speed Vehicles

Per State of Ohio law, under-speed vehicles (including golf carts) are not permitted to operate on public roadways unless granted by the local legislative body. Grandview Heights City Council approved legislation on April 5, 2021 to permit these vehicles to operate. If you currently own a golf cart and plan to drive it on any public road within Grandview Heights city limits, you must do the following:

1) Pass an inspection conducted by the Grandview Heights Police Department. The inspection criteria can be found on our inspection checklist. You may request an inspection through our online form. Inspections will be scheduled by appointment only. Walk-in inspections will not be granted. Upon passing inspection, you will be given a sticker with your USV registration number. This sticker must be visible while your vehicle is in operation. A one-time fee of $25.00 will be charged for each inspection. 

2) Take the completed inspection form, proof of insurance and proof of ownership to the Title Office. Once they have verified that everything is in order, they will issue you a Certificate of Title.

3) Take the above items to a Deputy Registrar at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles where they will verify you have completed the above steps and issue you a license plate for the vehicle.

Frequently Asked Questions

Once I have a license plate, can I drive anywhere?

Operate your under-speed vehicle only on roadways with a posted speed limit of 25 mph. They are not permitted on any roadways with a speed limit greater than 25 mph. You may cross roadways with a speed limit of up to 35 mph, but only where there is a traffic signal. Examples of this include traveling on First Avenue and crossing Northwest Boulevard. 

Can I drive my under-speed vehicle outside of Grandview Heights?

Please check with each individual jurisdiction to determine their requirements.

I’ve had my under-speed vehicle inspected previously by another law enforcement agency. Do I have to have it inspected again?

Yes. If you already have a license plate on your under-speed vehicle, you must complete an inspection with the Grandview Heights Police Department to ensure compliance with our local requirements, but you may forgo Steps 2 and 3 above.

Can I be pulled over while driving my under-speed vehicle?

Yes. The same laws apply to under-speed vehicles that apply to motor vehicles, including not operating the vehicle while under the influence, proper signaling, wearing seatbelts, and obeying the speed limit.

Does my vehicle have to be inspected and registered annually?

No. An inspection is only required once per vehicle and the registration sticker will be valid for the duration of ownership.