City Attorney


The office of the City Attorney:
  • Provides legal advice to the Mayor, administration, departments, divisions, City Council, and boards and commissions
  • Represents the City in litigation matters
  • Assists the City in business matters
  • Assists in preparing and updating legislation, and directing the Charter Review process


The City Attorney is appointed by the City Council.

Mayor's Court

Mayor's Court is usually held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays at 1:00 PM.

Frequently Asked Questions

1.How can I contact the prosecutor if I am issued a ticket in the City of Grandview Heights?
You may reach the Clerk of Courts by phone at (614) 481-6205, Monday through Friday, between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm or email.
2.How do I find out what legislation is being discussed by Council?

The Council agenda is posted at least 24 hours in advance of a Council meeting at City Hall and at the public library. It is also circulated electronically to persons who have subscribed to the City’s automated contact list. Regular and special Council meetings are open to the public, as are committee meetings. Any member of the public wishing to be heard may fill out a speaker form at the back of the room in advance of the Council meeting. In certain instances, it may become necessary to limit the time that speakers may be heard. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, Council and other City bodies are conducting meetings virtually. Please refer to the notices of meetings and agendas for specific information about how to access public meetings and submit comments.

3.Why do I sometimes see legislation being declared an “emergency”?
“Emergency” is a term used in the legislative process and comes from state law. Municipalities may pass legislation on an "emergency” basis for a variety of reasons, such as when Council must timely assure that public health and safety standards are maintained in an uninterrupted manner (for example, when negotiating police and fire contracts, contracts for mutual aid with neighboring communities, etc.), or when there is some other compelling reason to do so. Given the number of times that Council can convene and the number of readings that Council tries to have prior to passage, it attempts to be judicious about what can be handled as an emergency measure. Emergency legislation takes effect on the date it is signed by the Mayor, or 10 days after passage or adoption if not signed by the Mayor. Legislation that does not require emergency passage takes effect 30 days after approval.

4.What is the difference between a resolution and an ordinance?
A resolution expresses the desires of City Council on a particular topic. An ordinance creates a law and/or authorizes a specific action to be taken. Ordinances are generally read at three consecutive meetings, unless they have been tabled or there has been a motion to suspend the three readings. When this happens, it is generally because the measure is time-sensitive and cannot await 2-4 more weeks before receiving Council action.

5.Where can I find out City requirements, laws, or standards such as building codes, traffic laws, etc.?
When legislation is adopted, it is posted on the City's website in the Council section of the Public Documents tab, either under “Resolutions” or “Ordinances”. Copies may also be requested from the Clerk of Council. Once a year, the City laws passed in the prior year are formally codified (organized into chapters and sections) and posted online. Copies of bound Ordinances are available for inspection at the public library and at the office of the Clerk of Council. For information about building or remodeling, please visit the Building Department's page.